Friday 18 September 2009

Model Letter to BAM student marketing- Send today

Model letter to BAM drafted by NUS Women's Officer Liv Bailey – feel free to adapt to include your own views and send to tb@bamuk.com

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to express my concern about two of your recent activities. First, I understand that you have written to all students’ unions on your books suggesting they advertise Miss University GB at their institution. Second, I understand that you have facilitated the free distribution of FHM magazine at the fresher’s fairs of the unions you are contracted to work for.

I believe that Beauty Pageants like Miss University GB, and ‘lads’ mags like FHM, send the dangerous message that it is OK to value women purely on a narrow conception of beauty that bears little relation to the majority of women.

I believe that my institution should be free of the sexism and objectification that women face every day in wider society. I am disappointed that you did not more seriously consider the equal opportunities implications of the products that you have chosen to advertise.

I ask that you retract both promotions, and apologise for the negative impact that your action has had on campuses across the country.

Yours Sincerely,

Name
Institution


For more info see article http://www.officeronline.co.uk//women/276618.aspx

Don't forget to sign the NUS statement at
http://www.officeronline.co.uk/women/276619.aspx

****NEXT OBJECT FEMINIST FRIDAY- 25th SEPTEMBER****

Info on objectification and home of Feminist Fridays- www.object.org
Background on objectification campaigning in Students' Unions- http://londonstudentfeminists.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment